2020 Carbon Neutrality Quickfacts
1. President Mills signed the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment in 2007, pledging the College on a path towards carbon neutrality.
2. Bowdoin has committed to reaching this goal by 2020.
3. Bowdoin plans to attain this goal by improving infrastructure, renewable energy credits, carbon offsets and behavioral change. (Please see image on right)
4. Through behavioral change, Bowdoin hopes to eliminate 590 metric tons of CO2e every year.
5. This means that each student and employee at Bowdoin is responsible for reducing their personal carbon emissions by approximately 500 lbs.
6. This number is not as daunting as it may appear. By committing to several challenges, each individual can easily reach this annual goal.