Officers and Staff

Co-Presidents

Miranda Miller ’19, mmiller@bowdoin.edu
Zoe Aarons ’19, zaarons@bowdoin.edu

Board Members

Annie Rose ’20
Sam Edwards-Kuhn ’20
Hannah Schleifer ’20
Samantha Schwimmer ’21
Michael Friedland ’21

Faculty Advisors

Aviva Briefel, Professor of English and Cinema Studies, abriefel@bowdoin.edu
David K. Hecht, Associate Professor of History, dhecht@bowdoin.edu

Rabbi Vinikoor, lvinikoo@bowdoin.edu
Hillel Rabbi and Advisor

Rabbi Lisa Vinikoor

I was born and raised in Vermont and I’m thrilled to return to northern New England to serve as Bowdoin College’s Hillel Rabbi. I earned my Bachelor’s degree in History from Smith College, Master’s Degree in Education from the University of Massachusetts, Boston, and most recently my Rabbinic ordination from Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in New York City.

Before entering the rabbinate, I worked for fourteen years in the Greater Boston area, first as an elementary school teacher and later as a social justice organizer. As a social justice organizer, I worked with a team to engage thousands of clergy and lay leaders in a campaign to win expanded access to quality, affordable healthcare for nearly half a million low income people in Massachusetts. I also organized a campaign to stop the devastating effects of home foreclosures in Lawrence and Lowell Massachusetts.

As Bowdoin’s rabbi, I support students in creating vibrant Jewish religious and cultural life here at Bowdoin.  I serve students in helping to build community, work for justice, explore various aspects of Judaism and engage in spiritual and religious practices.  When I’m not at Bowdoin, you can find me jogging, biking, cooking or trying to catch a glimpse of a moose or two in Baxter State park.  I also love to drink coffee and look forward to meeting you for coffee or tea or at one of our events!

Rabbi Maslin
Rabbi for High Holiday Services

Rabbi Simeon Maslin

Internationally known, Rabbi Maslin has a long and distinguished career, having served in the congregational rabbinate for 40 years. He served both the oldest congregation in the Western Hemisphere (Mikve Israel-Emanuel of Curacao) and the oldest congregation in Illinois (K.A.M. of Chicago).

In 1980, he was elected the sixth Senior Rabbi of Keneseth Israel, the oldest Reform congregation in greater Philadelphia and the largest Jewish congregation in Pennsylvania. He now serves as Rabbi Emeritus.

Rabbi Maslin is the author of three books on religious subjects and scores of articles, which have appeared in both Jewish and secular journals. He was elected in 1995 to a two-year term as President of the Central Conference of American Rabbis (Reform), the largest rabbinic body in the world, and he has served as president as well as positions in several communal organizations during his career.

He holds degrees from Harvard, the University of Pennsylvania, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, and Chicago Theological Seminary.

He retired from the active rabbinate in 1997, and he now devotes his time to writing, lecturing, traveling, and boating along the coast of Maine. He is a summer resident of Harpswell.