Academic Year 2012-2013
Fall Semester 2015
- Round Table Discussion: 12/11/14 — A Liberal Arts Education Ought Prepare us for Service to Society.
- Disputation CXXX: 12/4/14 — Capital Punishment Is Justified in a
- Disputation CXXIX: 11/20/14 — Man Has a Duty to Nature.
- Disputation CXXVIII: 11/13/14 — Honor Thy Mother and Thy Father.
- Disputation CXXVII: 11/6/14 — We Cannot Be Ourselves in Isolation.
- Disputation CXXVI: 10/16/14 — I’d Rather Be a Cog in Some Great Machine than a Snowflake.
- Disputation CXXV: 10/2/14 — Shame is a Greater Motivator than Glory
- Disputation CXXIV: 9/25/14 — Political Parties are Disadvantageous to
- Disputation CXXIII: 9/18/14 — Art is For The Artist.
- Disputation CXXII: 9/11/14 — All Is Fair In War.
Spring Semester 2014
- Disputation CXXI: 3/27/14 — The pen is mightier than the sword.
- Disputation CXX: 2/27/14 — Bowdoin’s academics are improved by identity studies.
- Disputation CXIX: 2/20/14 — Enter the academy.
- Disputation CXVIII: 2/13/14 — The great leader need not be morally good.
- Disputation CXVII: 2/6/14 — We ought to transcend human nature.
- Disputation CXVI: 1/30/14 — ‘Tis better to laugh than to cry.
Fall Semester 2013
- Disputation CXV: 12/5/13 — Hell is other people.
- Pecuinian Forum: 11/21/13 — The life of Don Juan is better than the life of Socrates.
- Disputation CXIV: 11/7/13 — Fiction is more enlightening than non-fiction.
- Disputation CXIII: 10/24/13 — Cultural diversity is good for our democracy.
- Disputation CXII: 10/17/13 — Humility is a virtue.
- Disputation CXI: 10/3/13 — It is better to live in the city than the country.
- Disputation CX: 9/26/13 — Democracies ought to enforce justice beyond their borders.
- Disputation CIX: 9/19/13 — Science disenchants nature of its beauty.
Spring Semester 2013:
- Disputation CVII: 4/4/13 — Humanism ought replace religion as a common source of morality.
- Disputation CV: 2/7/13 — It is better to be a jack-of-all-trades than a master of one.
- Disputation CIV: 2/7/13 — We should have the right to bear arms.
- Disputation CIII: 1/31/13 — Whether our professors ought provide answers or pose questions only
Fall Semester 2012:
- Disputation CI: 11/15/12 — Martyrdom is Noble.
- Disputation C: 11/8/12 — Bowdoin College Needs the Peucinian Society
- Disputation XCIX: 10/25/12 — The World Needs America
- Disputation XCVIII: 10/18/12 — Artists should be attentive to the political ramifications of their work
- Disputation XCVII: 10/11/12 — Historical consciousness doth make cowards of us all
- Disputation XCVI: 10/4/12 — Work hard – play hard
- Disputation XCV: 9/27/12 — Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
- Disputation XCIV: 9/20/12 — Resolved: The great books must be central to the American liberal arts education
- Disputation XCIII: 9/13/12 — Resolved: Voting is sufficient for good citizenship
Academic Year 2011-2012
Spring Semester 2012:
- Disputation XCII: 4/19/12 — Resolved: ‘Tis better to give than to receive
- Disputation XCI: 4/12/12 — Resolved: Contemplation of man must begin at the “State of Nature”
- Disputation XC: 3/28/12 — Resolved: We must preserve the Union
- Disputation LXXXIX: 2/29/12 — Resolved: The Common Good is an integral facet of a liberal arts education
Academic Year 2009-2010
Spring Semester 2010:
- Disputation L: 02/04/10 — Resolved: The search for the Common Good is enriching liberal education at Bowdoin College
- Disputation LI: 02/11/10 — Resolved: The Green Movement is a threat to our liberty
- Disputation LII: 02/18/10 — Resolved: All atheism leads to the crisis of nihilism
- Disputation LIII: 02/25/10 — Resolved: National identity is an elevating force in society
- Disputation LVI: 04/08/10 — Resolved: Humans should strive for utopia
Fall Semester 2009:
- Disputation XL: 09/24/09 — Resolved: The “Psychopharmacological Revolution” is making us happier
- Disputation XLII: 10/08/09 — Resolved: There is no such thing as a noble lie
- Disputation XLIII: 10/16/09 — Resolved: Religious faith is an obstacle to intellectual freedom
- Disputation XLIV: 10/22/09 — Round Table Discussion
- Disputation XLVI: 11/12/09 — Resolved: Bowdoin should adopt gender-neutral living facilities
- Disputation XLVIII: 12/10/09 — Resolved: The rise of the internet has been to the detriment of artistic genius
Academic Year 2008-2009
Spring Semester 2009:
- Disputation XX: 01/29/09 — Resolved: Israel is a legitimate nation
- Disputation XXI: 02/05/09 — Resolved: Liberate humans from gender
- Disputation XXII: 02/12/09 — Resolved: Nation states should devolve more power to international bodies
- Disputation XXIII: 02/19/09 — Resolved: The works of art incite more curiosity than the works of nature
- Disputation XXIV: 03/05/09 — Resolved: It is possible for excessive laughter to yield cultural decline
- Disputation XXV: 04/02/09 — Resolved: Social democracy would strengthen America
- Disputation XXVI: 04/09/09 — Resolved: All consensual sex is moral
- Disputation XXVII: 04/16/09 — Resolved: Humanitarianism corrupts American liberals
Fall Semester 2008:
- Disputation XV: 09/11/08 — Resolved: Too many of us are choosing financial careers
- Disputation XVI: 09/18/08 — Resolved: The War in Iraq is a failure
- Disputation XVII: 10/24/08 — Resolved: Science impoverishes our souls
- Disputation XVIII: 11/13/08 — Resolved: Popular Music Inspires Good
- Disputation XIX: 11/20/08 — Resolved: The quest to save the environment ought to replace religion as the goal to unify culture
Academic Year 2007-2008
Spring Semester 2008:
Disputation VIII: 01/31/08 — Resolved: Man must be forced to be free
Disputation IX: 02/14/08 — Resolved: Violence is always evil
Disputation X: 02/28/08 — Resolved: Federalism has outlived its usefulness to America
Disputation XI: 03/27/08 — Resolved: Secularization is bad for America
Disputation XII: 04/10/08 — Resolved: The 1960s were a disaster
Disputation XIII: 04/17/08 — Treatises for Guardianship
Disputation XIV: 05/01/08 — Resolved: Men can be happy without government
Fall Semester 2007:
Disputation I: 9/13/07 — Which should assume preeminence, justice or greatness?
Disputation II: 9/27/07 — Are state governments necessary?
Disputation III: 10/11/07 — Free trade v. fair trade and the consequences of neo-liberalism
Disputation IV: 10/21/07 — Guest Lecturer Mr. Bruce C. Clark of The Economist
Disputation V: 11/08/07 — Should the nation-state gradually devolve powers towards international organizations and authorities
Disputation VI: 11/15/07 — Power in the executive (in America)
Disputation VII: 11/29/07 — The merits of feminism and gender equality