Academic Year 2018-2019
Fall Semester 2018
- Disputation CXCIII: 11/29/18 — We Should Dismantle Categories of Identity
- Campus Event: 11/15/18 — Human Nature Forum
- Disputation CXCII: 11/8/18 — I Would Want to Live in a World Without Suffering
- Disputation CXCI: 10/25/18 — Think of the Children!
- Disputation CXC: 10/18/18 — I’d Rather Be a Cog in Some Great Machine than a Snowflake
- Disputation CLXXXIX: 10/11/18 — Social Protest Should Always Be Non-Violent
- Disputation CLXXXVIII: 9/27/18 — Artistic Expression Must be Central to a Liberal Arts Education
- Disputation CLXXXVII: 9/20/18 — The Written Word is the Most Powerful Tool for Social Change
- Disputation CLXXXVI: 9/13/18 — The Well-Informed Should Have a Greater Voice in Government
- Disputation CLXXXV: 9/6/18 — Strive for a Life of Leisure
Academic Year 2017-2018
Spring Semester 2018
- Disputation CLXXXIV: 5/3/18 — Compulsory Military Service is Immoral
- Disputation CLXXXIII: 4/19/18 — Nature is Ours for the Taking
- Disputation CLXXXII: 3/29/18 — Social Media Platforms are Undermining Democracy
- Disputation CLXXXI: 3/1/18 — Conventions of Politeness Enrich Human Relationships
- Disputation CLXXX: 2/22/18 — The Western Canon Should Be Fundamental to a Liberal Education
- Disputation CLXXIX: 2/15/18 — Consider Non-Monogamy
- Disputation CLXXIX: 2/15/18 – CLXXIX Terms
- Disputation CLXXVIII: 2/8/18 — We Have an Obligation to Raise Children
- Disputation CLXXVII: 2/1/18 — We Ought Strive for Greatness in Our Lives
Fall Semester 2017
- Disputation CLXXVI: 12/6/17 — Become a Vegetarian
- Disputation CLXXV: 11/30/17 — Repeal the Second Amendment
- Disputation CLXXIV: 11/16/17 — Capitalism is Unjust
- Disputation CLXXIII: 11/9/17 — Whilst Shame Keeps Its Watch, Virtue is not Wholly Extinguished from the Heart
- Disputation CLXXII: 11/2/17 — A Liberal Arts Education Ought Prepare us for Service to Society
- Disputation CLXXI: 10/19/17 — Embrace Domestic Surveillance
- Disputation CLXX: 10/12/17 — Live Forever
- Disputation CLXIX: 9/18/17 — Take Down the Confederate Monuments
- Disputation CLXVIII: 9/21/17 — Gender Roles Benefit Society
- Disputation CLXVII: 9/14/17 — We Have the Right to Die
- Disputation CLXVI: 9/7/17 — Disregard Physical Beauty
Academic Year 2016-2017
Spring Semester 2017
- Disputation CLXV: 5/4/17 — Nations Should Expect Assimilation from their Immigrants
- Disputation CLXIV: 4/20/17 — Work Hard, Play Hard
- Disputation CLXIII: 3/30/17 — The College Ought to Enforce a Strict Social Code
- Disputation CLXII: 3/2/17 — We Should Liberate Ourselves From the City
- Disputation CLXI: /2/23/17 — Psychology Ought to Supplant Philosophy in Our Lives
- Disputation CLX: 2/16/17 — The Internet Has Tainted Our Sense of Wonder
- Disputation CLIX: 2/9/17 — Religion Strengthens Democracy
- Disputation CLVIII: 2/2/17 — Political Correctness Advances Social Justice
Fall Semester 2016
- Disputation CLVII: 12/1/16 — We Can Live Without Tradition
- Disputation CLVI: 11/17/16 — Humility is a Virtue
- Disputation CLV: 11/10/16 — America is Exceptional
- Disputation CLIV (0.5): 11/3/16 — We Ought Genetically Engineer Our Children
- Disputation CLIV: 10/20/16 — The Works of Art Offer Greater Inspiration than the Works of Nature
- Disputation CLIII (0.5): 9/29/16 — The Hookup Culture is Good for Bowdoin
- Disputation CLIII: 9/22/16 — Democracy is Overrated
- Disputation CLII: 9/15/16 — Great Leaders Need Not Ground their Decisions in Morality
- Disputation CLI: 9/8/16 — Reverence for the Law Ought be Our Political Religion
Academic Year 2015-2016
Spring Semester 2016
- Disputation CL: 5/5/16 — Voting is Sufficient For Good Citizenship
- Disputation CXLIX: 4/21/16 — Kill Our Heroes
- Disputation CXLVIII: 4/14/16 — To Thine Own Self Be True
- Disputation CXLVII: 3/10/16 —We Ought to Strive for More than Earthly Pleasures
- Disputation CXLVI: 3/3/16 — Humanity Needs Myths
- Disputation CXLV (0.5): 2/25/16 — Quality Should Outweigh Quantity of Life
- Disputation CXLV: 2/18/16 — Usage Ought Determine Meaning in the English Language
- Disputation CXLIV: 2/4/16 — Elected Representatives Ought to Obey their Conscience over their Constituents
Fall Semester 2015
- Disputation CXLIII: 12/3/15 — Society Needs Noble Lies
- Disputation CXLII: 11/19/15 — We Ought Defy Human Nature
- Disputation CXLI: 11/12/15 — The College Ought Restrict Identity Demeaning Speech
- Disputation CXL: 11/5/15 — The State has a Responsibility to Accept Refugees
- Disputation CXXXVIX: 10/22/15 — We Ought to Get Married
- Disputation CXXXVIII (0.5): 10/8/15 — The Earth Belongs to the Living
- Disputation CXXXVIII: 10/1/15 — The Privileged Ought Quietly Listen
- Disputation CXXXVII: 9/24/15 — Personal Technology Harms out Relationship with the World
- Disputation CXXXVI: 9/17/15 — Democracies Should Embrace State Paternalism
Academic Year 2014-2015
Fall Semester 2014
- Round Table Discussion: 12/11/14 — A Liberal Arts Education Ought Prepare us for Service to Society.
- Disputation CXXX: 12/4/14 — Capital Punishment Is Justified in a
- Disputation CXXIX: 11/20/14 — Man Has a Duty to Nature.
- Disputation CXXVIII: 11/13/14 — Honor Thy Mother and Thy Father.
- Disputation CXXVII: 11/6/14 — We Cannot Be Ourselves in Isolation.
- Disputation CXXVI: 10/16/14 — I’d Rather Be a Cog in Some Great Machine than a Snowflake.
- Disputation CXXV: 10/2/14 — Shame is a Greater Motivator than Glory
- Disputation CXXIV: 9/25/14 — Political Parties are Disadvantageous to
- Disputation CXXIII: 9/18/14 — Art is For The Artist.
- Disputation CXXII: 9/11/14 — All Is Fair In War.
Academic Year 2013-2014
Spring Semester 2014
- Disputation CXXI: 3/27/14 — The pen is mightier than the sword.
- Disputation CXX: 2/27/14 — Bowdoin’s academics are improved by identity studies.
- Disputation CXIX: 2/20/14 — Enter the academy.
- Disputation CXVIII: 2/13/14 — The great leader need not be morally good.
- Disputation CXVII: 2/6/14 — We ought to transcend human nature.
- Disputation CXVI: 1/30/14 — ‘Tis better to laugh than to cry.
Fall Semester 2013
- Disputation CXV: 12/5/13 — Hell is other people.
- Peucinian Forum: 11/21/13 — The life of Don Juan is better than the life of Socrates.
- Disputation CXIV: 11/7/13 — Fiction is more enlightening than non-fiction.
- Disputation CXIII: 10/24/13 — Cultural diversity is good for our democracy.
- Disputation CXII: 10/17/13 — Humility is a virtue.
- Disputation CXI: 10/3/13 — It is better to live in the city than the country.
- Disputation CX: 9/26/13 — Democracies ought to enforce justice beyond their borders.
- Disputation CIX: 9/19/13 — Science disenchants nature of its beauty.
Academic Year 2012-2013
Spring Semester 2013:
- Disputation CVII: 4/4/13 — Humanism ought replace religion as a common source of morality.
- Disputation CV: 2/7/13 — It is better to be a jack-of-all-trades than a master of one.
- Disputation CIV: 2/7/13 — We should have the right to bear arms.
- Disputation CIII: 1/31/13 — Whether our professors ought provide answers or pose questions only
Fall Semester 2012:
- Disputation CI: 11/15/12 — Martyrdom is Noble.
- Disputation C: 11/8/12 — Bowdoin College Needs the Peucinian Society
- Disputation XCIX: 10/25/12 — The World Needs America
- Disputation XCVIII: 10/18/12 — Artists should be attentive to the political ramifications of their work
- Disputation XCVII: 10/11/12 — Historical consciousness doth make cowards of us all
- Disputation XCVI: 10/4/12 — Work hard – play hard
- Disputation XCV: 9/27/12 — Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
- Disputation XCIV: 9/20/12 — Resolved: The great books must be central to the American liberal arts education
- Disputation XCIII: 9/13/12 — Resolved: Voting is sufficient for good citizenship
Academic Year 2011-2012
Spring Semester 2012:
- Disputation XCII: 4/19/12 — Resolved: ‘Tis better to give than to receive
- Disputation XCI: 4/12/12 — Resolved: Contemplation of man must begin at the “State of Nature”
- Disputation XC: 3/28/12 — Resolved: We must preserve the Union
- Disputation LXXXIX: 2/29/12 — Resolved: The Common Good is an integral facet of a liberal arts education
Academic Year 2009-2010
Spring Semester 2010:
- Disputation L: 02/04/10 — Resolved: The search for the Common Good is enriching liberal education at Bowdoin College
- Disputation LI: 02/11/10 — Resolved: The Green Movement is a threat to our liberty
- Disputation LII: 02/18/10 — Resolved: All atheism leads to the crisis of nihilism
- Disputation LIII: 02/25/10 — Resolved: National identity is an elevating force in society
- Disputation LVI: 04/08/10 — Resolved: Humans should strive for utopia
Fall Semester 2009:
- Disputation XL: 09/24/09 — Resolved: The “Psychopharmacological Revolution” is making us happier
- Disputation XLII: 10/08/09 — Resolved: There is no such thing as a noble lie
- Disputation XLIII: 10/16/09 — Resolved: Religious faith is an obstacle to intellectual freedom
- Disputation XLIV: 10/22/09 — Round Table Discussion
- Disputation XLVI: 11/12/09 — Resolved: Bowdoin should adopt gender-neutral living facilities
- Disputation XLVIII: 12/10/09 — Resolved: The rise of the internet has been to the detriment of artistic genius
Academic Year 2008-2009
Spring Semester 2009:
- Disputation XX: 01/29/09 — Resolved: Israel is a legitimate nation
- Disputation XXI: 02/05/09 — Resolved: Liberate humans from gender
- Disputation XXII: 02/12/09 — Resolved: Nation states should devolve more power to international bodies
- Disputation XXIII: 02/19/09 — Resolved: The works of art incite more curiosity than the works of nature
- Disputation XXIV: 03/05/09 — Resolved: It is possible for excessive laughter to yield cultural decline
- Disputation XXV: 04/02/09 — Resolved: Social democracy would strengthen America
- Disputation XXVI: 04/09/09 — Resolved: All consensual sex is moral
- Disputation XXVII: 04/16/09 — Resolved: Humanitarianism corrupts American liberals
Fall Semester 2008:
- Disputation XV: 09/11/08 — Resolved: Too many of us are choosing financial careers
- Disputation XVI: 09/18/08 — Resolved: The War in Iraq is a failure
- Disputation XVII: 10/24/08 — Resolved: Science impoverishes our souls
- Disputation XVIII: 11/13/08 — Resolved: Popular Music Inspires Good
- Disputation XIX: 11/20/08 — Resolved: The quest to save the environment ought to replace religion as the goal to unify culture
Academic Year 2007-2008
Spring Semester 2008:
Disputation VIII: 01/31/08 — Resolved: Man must be forced to be free
Disputation IX: 02/14/08 — Resolved: Violence is always evil
Disputation X: 02/28/08 — Resolved: Federalism has outlived its usefulness to America
Disputation XI: 03/27/08 — Resolved: Secularization is bad for America
Disputation XII: 04/10/08 — Resolved: The 1960s were a disaster
Disputation XIII: 04/17/08 — Treatises for Guardianship
Disputation XIV: 05/01/08 — Resolved: Men can be happy without government
Fall Semester 2007:
Disputation I: 9/13/07 — Which should assume preeminence, justice or greatness?
Disputation II: 9/27/07 — Are state governments necessary?
Disputation III: 10/11/07 — Free trade v. fair trade and the consequences of neo-liberalism
Disputation IV: 10/21/07 — Guest Lecturer Mr. Bruce C. Clark of The Economist
Disputation V: 11/08/07 — Should the nation-state gradually devolve powers towards international organizations and authorities
Disputation VI: 11/15/07 — Power in the executive (in America)
Disputation VII: 11/29/07 — The merits of feminism and gender equality